7190 Bouse Road, Glen Carbon, IL 62034 - Phone: (618) 855-9010 - Fax: (618) 855-9011

Our History


Father McGivney Catholic High School was not created overnight. A group of dedicated parents, grandparents, pastors, and other faithful volunteers began working on the “dream” of a school in 2005 with the formation of Catholic School 4 Me. The group approached the Diocese of Springfield with the idea and quickly gained their support. They surveyed area Catholics and hosted a Catholic high school fair to drum up interest. In 2006, the group commissioned a feasibility study, which had positive results that a new Catholic high school in the area was both needed, wanted, and sustainable.

In 2008, with momentum on their side, Catholic School 4 Me began forming committees, developed a mission statement, narrowed down on a motto, and named the school. In late 2008, they chose a mascot (the Griffin) and picked school colors. The Faith Formation Committee began developing curriculum, a plan, located a site for the school and commissioned an architect to develop plans for the design of the school. In early 2009, they began initial site work at the intersection of Bouse and Old Troy Roads, began promoting the school, gained city government approval, and launched the school’s first capital campaign.

Due to a downturn in the nation’s economy, raising enough capital to build a new school proved difficult, so the founders set to find a more fiscally-responsible option. In 2011, the group gained approval to open in a dedicated wing of St. John Neumann Catholic School. The wing was renovated, office space was added, technology infrastructure was installed, students were recruited, staff and faculty were hired, and in the Fall of 2012 Father McGivney Catholic High School opened it’s doors to a group of 19 pioneer students.

Over the following years, a new high school freshmen class was added, more faculty and staff were added, clubs and athletic teams were formed, our first IHSA state title was won, and plans were being made. Those plans included a second capital campaign and the building of our new permanent facility to house the school. With the school’s forward momentum, over 1600 generous donors, and a lot of hard work, the second campaign was a huge success and construction on the new building began in September of 2014. The new building opened it’s doors in August of 2015 with a student body of 125 students. A dedication ceremony was celebrated with Most Reverend Thomas John Paprocki and over 1,100 donors, supporters, students, and families on August 30, 2015.

The faculty, staff and students of Father McGivney Catholic High School are eagerly looking forward to continuing the school’s “firsts” and making history.

Venerable Michael J. McGivney (1852-1890)

In choosing a name for the new Catholic high school, the founders wanted to honor a person who was committed to the same values they hoped to instill in its future graduates. The search for a person who dedicated his life to service, family, and youth led them to an American parish priest – Father Michael McGivney. A man ahead of his time, Fr. McGivney has come to be known as Apostle to the Young and Defender of Christian Family Life. He saw strong families as the foundation of his parish, the Church, and society at large. He was convinced that the Catholic laity had a unique role in influencing society and promoting the values found in what Pope John Paul II has since named the Culture of Life and Civilization of Love.

Fr. McGivney was an idealist whose youthful vision and commitment to families led to the creation of his legacy – the Knights of Columbus. With more than 12,000 chapters and 1.7 million members, the Knights of Columbus is the world’s largest Catholic fraternal organization. Their pillars of Unity, Charity, Fraternity, and Patriotism are the foundation of Father McGivney Catholic High School’s mission.

Fr. McGivney has the distinction of “Venerable Servant of God,” and if canonized, McGivney will be the first American-born priest to be so honored. Learn more about Fr. McGivney and his dedication to youth and families in the book, Parish Priest: Father Michael McGivney and American Catholicism by Douglas Brinkley and Julie Fenster or by visiting www.fathermcgivney.org.

The Mascot - A Griffin

What is a Griffin?  With the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle, the Griffin presents a menacing image while still staying true to its origins where it was carved on Catholic cathedrals as a sign of strength and protection.  The Griffin, a union between a terrestrial beast and an aerial bird, is seen in Christendom to be a symbol of Jesus, who is both human and divine.  The Griffin also denotes strength, courage and leadership and often represents a guardian or protector.

Our Colors

McGivney’s colors are navy, gold and green.

The color navy represents the school’s devotion to Mary, Mother of God.

The color gold symbolizes the school’s commitment to excellent Catholic education.

The color green was selected to represent the schools’ patron, Father Michael McGivney of Irish descent.